On Friday afternoon, I stopped at the grocery store before heading to a staff member’s house to celebrate the end of the year. In line ahead of me were a mother and her two daughters. The mother exclaimed, “That’s it. I’ve had enough. Time for the two of you to return to school.”
The cashier looked hesitantly at me and then turned to the mother and said, “Didn’t they just get out of school?”
“Yes, at noon today.” Evidently, it will be a long summer for some.
As summer holidays begin, I thank you on behalf of students and parents.
- Thank you for spending countless hours – both inside and outside of school – writing report cards, planning, researching, creating and marking.
- Thank you for taking the time to approach the curriculum creatively to ensure optimal student engagement.
- Thank you for treating your students as individuals, understanding that fair is not always equal.
- Thank you for your passion and persistence sometimes in the face of resistance and negativity.
- Thank you for devoting yourself to this noble profession.
Enjoy a well-earned summer break!